“Extensive testing conducted during 2014 showed that the buoys had a signiﬁcant impact on the algae, allowing the plant to reduce chemical consumption by more than 20 percent, and reducing the concentration of undesirable taste and odor causing compounds in the treated water delivered to customers”.
- State-of-the-art treatment against algae in lakes, ponds and drinking water reservoirs
- Complete sensor package to continuously measure the water quality
- Operates on solar energy, all year round in any country
- Integrated Aquawiper™ for minimal maintenance
How it works
1. Monitor Water Quality
In lakes and bigger ponds the presence of different algae species is in a state of constant change. Therefore it is important to monitor the presence of the current algae species in order to optimize the treatment. Different parameters are used to continuously measure the water quality such as Chlorophyll α (green algae), Phycocyanin (blue-green algae), pH, Turbidity, Dissolved Oxygen, and Temperature.
2. Predict algal blooms
The collected data is delivered in real time via radio, GPRS, or 3G to an online server. Web-based software (MPC-View) allows users to visually follow the water quality and the progress of the ultrasonic treatment. Our employees receive the same real-time water quality data to verify the current status of the lake, modify the ultrasonic program, and prevent new blooms.
3. Control algae
Based on the received information, the ultrasonic program can be activated according to the water conditions and type of algae present. This way, it is possible to eliminate existing algae and prevent the growth of new algae.
Read more about the impact of ultrasound on algae.
Reliable technology to control algae
The MPC-Buoy is developed in collaboration with several renowned universities and research institutes. Some of the universities and research institutes with whom LG Sonic cooperates with are the University of Portsmouth, UK; University of Catania, Italy; HCMR Institute, Greece.
Safe for the environment
The ultrasound used by LG Sonic is safe for fish, plants, zooplankton, and insects. Our devices make use of low power (5-20 Watts); therefore, no high voltages are transmitted into the water.
Complete sensor package to continuously measure the water quality
The MPC-Buoy holds a complete sensor package, including the following parameters: Chlorophyll α (green algae), Phycocyanin (blue-green algae), pH, turbidity, dissolved oxygen, and temperature. The data of these parameters combined provide a complete overview of the water quality.
Effective on large water surfaces
The MPC-Buoy is equipped with four ultrasonic transmitters to assure complete ultrasound coverage of 360°. The MPC-Buoy has a range of 500 meter in diameter.
Hosted web-based software package to follow the progress of the treatment and prevent new blooms
The hosted MPC-View software allows users to visually follow the water quality, the progress of the ultrasonic treatment, and the status of the units. The employees of LG Sonic receive the same real-time water quality data to verify the current status of the lake, modify the ultrasonic program, and prevent new blooms.
Solar-powered system to treat larger lakes and bigger ponds
Current algae control systems require power to be supplied from shore, which reduces the ultrasound coverage range. The MPC-Buoy is self-supporting of power by using solar energy, which allows the treatment of lakes and bigger ponds.
It is also possible to order the MPC-Buoy without solar panels, this system is called the MPC-Grid.
Integrated aquawiper™ for minimal maintenance
The MPC-Buoy is equipped with an automatic cleaning system, the Integrated Aquawiper™, to prevent damage to the transmitter head for minimal maintenance.
Light construction for easy installation
The MPC-Buoy is a modular unit that is easy to assemble and install. Because the construction is light, you only need a small boat to drag the device to the center of the lake, where the unit can be installed and moored.
4 ultrasonic transmitters for complete 360° sound coverage
- Treatment range of 500 meter/1,640 feet in diameter
- Integrated Aquawiper, an automatic cleansing system for the ultrasonic transmitters
- Chameleon Technology™ to change the ultrasonic program based on the type of algae
Complete Water Quality Sensor Package
- Includes the following parameters: Chlorophyll α (green algae), Phycocyanin (blue-green algae), pH, turbidity, dissolved oxygen, and temperature.
- Possible to add extra sensors based on customer needs.
UV-Resistant buoy construction
- Aluminium powder coated frame
- Corrosion resistant construction
Construction allows for easy installation and low maintenance
- Can be deployed quickly and easily without the need for a crane
- Easy accessible for maintenance while deployed
- Remotely managed and monitored
- Includes bird spikes and bird net
Floating solar system
- 3x 195 Wp high quality solar panels that provides power, all year round in any country
- 1x 24 Volt, 40 AMP lithium batteries
Smart communication system
- GSM/GPRS Telemetry Quadband (850/900/1800/1900 MHz)
- CDMA (optional)
- Radio (UHF/VHF) (optional)
- GPS (optional)
- Iridium Satellite (optional)
Intelligent power management
- During low battery voltage automatically powers off ultrasonic transmitters
- Switches to energy-saving program during periods of low sun irradiation
- Overcharge and deep charge regulation to protect equipment
Data Acquisistion System
- 3-way communication between the ultrasonic transmitters, water quality sensors and web-based server
- Universal input to customize monitored data
- Integrated alarm functions
Web-based software (MPC-View) allows users to visually follow the water quality and the progress of the ultrasonic treatment. Our employees receive the same real-time water quality data to verify the current status of the lake, modify the ultrasonic program, and prevent new blooms.
Please visit our MPC-View portal for more information.
The customer can visually follow the progress of the treatment and status of the devices.
MPC-View software allows customers to view the data of their water body in real time. The web-based software receives, summarizes, and publishes data into charts, tables, and spreadsheets on your personal webpage. The MPC-View allows users to follow the progress of algae treatment and the status of the units.
- Data about projects can be added, like the location of deployment and history of algae blooms.
- Reports of the water data can be generated and exported to Excel or converted to PDF format.
Our employees receive water quality data, verify current status, and modifies ultrasonic program.
Based on the real-time data, ecologists, biologists and technicians from LG Sound verify the current status of a lake or reservoir and modify the ultrasonic program to match the algae present in the water and prevent the formation of new blooms.
Case studies: MPC-Buoy
- Going the Extra Mile Award 2015
- Business Achievement Award 2015
Environmental Business Journal
- Global TAG Excellence Award 2015
- WssTP Water Innovation Award 2014
Water Innovation Europe
- Shell LiveWIRE Award 2014
Shell and Dutch Camber of Commerce
- Engineering Solutions Award 2014
Institute of Water Innovation Awards